I went to the wood workshop to get a range of sizes of board to work on ready for my crit which is happening during week 7. I decided to get board as I enjoy working on smooth surfaces and I don’t have to worry about added texture that you get on a canvas although I may progress to working on canvas in the future if it will benefit my work.
I started working on several board paintings at once so that while one dried, I could continue making progress on others as often I overwork pieces and so this allows me to avoid doing that.
This is the first painting I started to work on where I focused on using a neutral colour palette which was very realistic to the goat I initially did a quick drawing of at Tropical Birdland. I need to continue layering the different tones to build up details and areas of contrast but I am liking where this painting is going.
For this sheep painting, I firstly sketched the image onto the board before using a pyrography machine to burn the outlines of each element. I then applied paint over the top which created an interesting effect and this is something I would like to explore further in this project, maybe even experimenting with adding more details and mark making to see how that could affect my outcomes.
I have started this horse painting by applying watercolours down as a base to allow me to work out which tones of colour work best with the horse. I find the effect of using the watercolours quite interesting as the paints look rather subtle due to them being watered down. I would like to explore combining areas of watercolour and acrylic on board to see if this would create an effect that I continue in my project further down the line.
This goat painting involved an experimentation with the tones of green I was using in the background as in the previous paintings I focused on using a viridian green and a sap green so this allowed me to break out of old habits and start to be really experimental with colour used and how it affects the look of the animal and the enclosure itself.