Categories
CPS 3302 Year 3

CPS 3302 – Contextual Post – Rebecca Haines

Rebecca Haines Artist Website

Rebecca Haines is a Fine Artist who has had a strong passion for art throughout her life. She began her artistic career by focusing on a portraiture subject – predominantly faces, in which she built up a skill in creating photo realistic pieces. In her thirties she began to engage in artwork with an animal based subject which was a lot more abstract through her uses of mark makings and colour. This interest in animals came from her friend lending her a book about the spiritual side of animals and how they connect to humans. This was an eye opener for Haines and she continued to do lots of research into animals and people’s opinions about their purpose.

During her degree, she worked at a gallery and after graduating became the director of that gallery which gave her the chance to exhibit and sell her own work.

She works onto board rather than paper or canvas as she prefers the feel and firmness. I feel that I can relate to that as I am using board for my paintings. She uses oil paints and grease pencils to create her works which I find interesting and I may consider the combinations of media as my own project develops.